Submitted by Suanne Z. Thamm
Reporter – News Analyst
May 6, 2018 9:00 p.m.
On May 1, 2018, the city of Fernandina Beach began advertising for applicants to work as urban forestry inspector/arborist. Many city residents have asked for such a position to be established to protect the city’s trees, especially during surrounding development. Note that the position will be part of the proposed Planning and Conservation Department. The City Manager will be presenting his reorganization plan to the City Commission at the next Regular Meeting on May 15, 2018.
The City of Fernandina Beach has an opening for an:
Title: Urban Forestry Inspector/Arborist
Department: Planning and Conservation
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Planning Manager
Pay Grade: 135 ($40,840 – $64,323)
- Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in Urban Forestry, Horticulture, Botany, or a related subject area required. Two years of experience in urban forestry or horticulture. A comparable amount of training, education, or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Valid Florida Driver’s license required.
Certification as an Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture preferred (minimally required within two years of being hired).
- Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required; Geographic Information Systems (GIS) preferred. Thorough knowledge of proper tree pruning and removal standards as specified in American National Standards for Tree Care Operation (ANSI A3000 standards) required; thorough knowledge of tree and shrub biology, classification, plant pests and diseases, and identification of various types of trees and plants and their cultivation required. Ability to work effectively with co-workers, external departments, appropriate outside agencies, and the general public required. Ability to read and interpret plan specifications and blueprints accurately and to compare such to on-site construction in progress; and ability to enforce ordinances and other regulations with firmness, tact, and impartiality required.
This position is responsible for the review and monitoring of construction and development projects for compliance with applicable codes and policies, as well as safeguarding the City of Fernandina Beach’s urban tree assets from disease, potential construction impacts, and unpermitted removal of trees. This position will also be responsible for providing support in managing the land conservation program. Work involves review of potential development projects and issue resolution associated with the City’s overall planning policies and community development direction. Work involves considerable public contact, often of a sensitive nature and requires the exercise of patience, sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy. This position requires availability (occasionally outside of normal operating hours) to respond to tree emergencies and assist in emergency storm events.
- Monitors and inspects contractors for planting, pruning, removal, and any other tree related projects on the right of way, within tree conservation areas and protected buffers to ensure compliance with City code and standards.
- Reviews landscape and tree protection plans to ensure compliance with City codes and standards.
- Monitors the success of tree planting by gathering statistics and generating reports.
- Assists City staff with planning and implementing tree and landscape requirements for residential, commercial, and industrial development projects citywide.
- Provides assistance in grant acquisition and management.
- Participates in the Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree City USA program and the Heritage Tree program.
- Receives, investigates, and issues potential violations to City code and statutes as they pertain to trees in tree protection areas, within protected buffers and the right of way.
- Oversees permitting for tree pruning and removal activities of required/protected trees.
- Investigates and responds to internal and external requests for tree maintenance.
- Identifies planting sites in the field through surveys and inventories.
- Select or assist in the selection of trees for street tree planting; coordinates tree procurement, delivery, and planting.
- Provides oversight of planting as needed; assists with oversight of contract planting.
- Responds to citizen complaints, concerns, and inquiries.
- Records documents and maintains records as required.
- Attends meetings of the City Commission, City Advisory Boards and related committees.
- Prepare and present oral presentations and staff reports to the City Commission, City Advisory Boards and related committees.
- Maintains plans and specifications in compliance with City policy and planning principles.
- May lead, plan, and coordinate the work of a project team.
- Advises management of actions and potential risks.
- Attends and participates in administrative meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Physical Skills
Acceptable eyesight, hearing (with/without correction), ability to communicate (orally and in writing), driving, moderate lifting and carrying (up to 25 lbs.), reaching, pulling, pushing, walking, climbing, sitting, standing, kneeling, and bending. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
Works inside in an office environment and outside in various weather conditions.
Key Competencies Integrity, Professional Knowledge, Analysis, Attention to Detail, Interpersonal skills, Communication (oral and written), and Safety Awareness.
Any qualified applicant who is interested in applying for this position should submit a General Application to:
City of Fernandina Beach
Attention: Human Resources Director
204 Ash Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034