by Sabrina Robertson
Office of the Nassau County Manager
June 27, 2019 2:30 p.m.
Nassau County, Florida, June 25, 2019 – On December 19, 2018, the Board of County Commissioners formed a Beach Community Working Group consisting of Mike Mullin, County Manager/County Attorney; Taco Pope, Assistant County Manager; Doug Podiak, Facilities Maintenance Director; Gil Langley, Executive Director of the Tourist Development Council; Butch Osborne, Director of Operations for the Sheriff’s Office; Mac Morriss, Ex-Officio Member; and Lowell Hall, Ex-Officio Member.
The group was directed to review current beach related Ordinances and use of the beach and to make recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners as to any updates or amendments that need to be made. A total of seven (7) meetings have been held to date.
At the June 19, 2019 meeting, the Committee adopted the following guiding principles and goals which will be used in preparing their recommendation to be presented to the Board of County Commissioners at a future time.
- Plan to include horizon, growth and tourist trends
- Strive for unified, island-wide beach management policies and joint planning
- Provide clean, safe and accessible beach access
- Be a good steward of environmental and natural resources
- Maintain diversity of users
- Prioritize County residents
- Acknowledge local heritage, culture and lifestyle
- Prioritize public safety on the beach
- Ensure public access to beaches
- Preserve local heritage, culture and lifestyle
- Protect the environmental and natural assets of the beach
- Explore funding opportunities for beach management
Over the next couple months, the Committee will be deliberating associated strategies to achieve these goals.
Upcoming meeting dates are as follows:
- Monday, July 15, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
All meetings will take place in the Commission Chambers located at 96135 Nassau Place, Yulee, FL 32097 (James Page Governmental Complex). The public is invited to attend and participate. Additional meetings may be added in the future.
Agendas and meeting minutes of the Beach Community Working Group can be located on our website at: http://www.nassaucountyfl.com/DocumentCenter/Index/959.