Submitted by Suanne Z. Thamm
Reporter – News Analyst
September 3, 2018 3:30 p.m.
Public Hearings on FY2018-19 Budget and Millage Rate
- First Hearing: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 5:05 p.m., City Commission Chambers, Fernandina Beach City Hall, 201 Ash Street, Fernandina Beach, FL
- Second Hearing: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 5:05 p.m., City Commission Chambers, Fernandina Beach City Hall, 201 Ash Street, Fernandina Beach, FL
Each of these meetings will precede a Regular Meeting of the Fernandina Beach City Commission scheduled for 6:00 p.m. Note that the proposed budget is available for public perusal on the city’s website.
Fernandina Beach City Manager Dale Martin reports on continuing progress toward repairing the city marina.
- Draft revised US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) permit has been signed and returned for USACE signature.
- FEMA review of southern attenuator repairs continues.
- Draft specifications for southern basin improvements (dredging, docks) under review.
- 408 request [similar process to that used to replace southern attenuator] for northern attenuator under review. This request is limited to the existing “footprint” and does not include the possible northern expansion of docks in the city marina.
- Building Official – James “Jud” Allen is scheduled to start his tenure with the City on Sep 17.
- Urban Forester/Arborist – David Holley is scheduled to start his tenure with the City on Sep 17.
Current RFQ/Bids (related to City Commission)
- Traffic Circulation and Parking Consultant (ITB 18-17) – Responses are under review.
- Professional Services (RFQ 2018-18)-Responses are under review.
“Local Government Planning 101”
The Florida City/County Managers Association(FCCMA) is sponsoring a web-based presentation, “Local Government Planning 101.” The information will be presented in the City Commission Chambers on Thursday, September 6, from 2:00 -3:00 PM.
Interested citizens are welcome to join members of City staff to learn more about local planning.
Editor’s Note: Suanne Z. Thamm is a native of Chautauqua County, NY, who moved to Fernandina Beach from Alexandria,VA, in 1994. As a long time city resident and city watcher, she provides interesting insight into the many issues that impact our city. We are grateful for Suanne’s many contributions to the Fernandina Observer.