Fernandina Beach Fire Dept
Ty Silcox, Chief
October 9, 2019
At 11:07 AM on October 9th, 2019, units from the Fernandina Beach Fire Department and Nassau County Fire-Rescue were dispatched to a two-story, residential structure with two units, located at 871 South Fletcher Avenue. The 911 call was received from a neighbor, reporting that the kitchen was on fire. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy black smoke coming from the upstairs apartment, and a backside corner of the house engulfed in flames.
Firefighters entered the structure through an open door and found heavy fire conditions in the area of the kitchen. Firefighters began an aggressive attack on the fire and quickly brought it under control, within 12 minutes of arriving on scene. Damage to the fire floor was heavy, and the first-floor residence received water damage from firefighting efforts. Occupants were in the structure at the time of the fire, but evacuated before firefighters arrived, resulting in no civilian or firefighter injuries.
The cause of the fire was accidental in nature and was a result of unattended cooking. The Fernandina Beach Fire Department encourages everyone to practice fire safety when cooking! Always stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food. Unattended cooking is a contributing factor in 33% of home fires related to cooking