Submitted by Gerry Clare
Many of you have been watching the renovations taking place at the Ship’s Lantern and Corner-copia on Centre Street with interest. Carol Lannon Elefterion and her husband Allen were busy fixing up the Ship’s Lantern, hanging wall items with employee Phyllis Patterson in preparation for an opening in the next few days. Carol filled me in on a little history of the store(s) her father and mother Robert and Lena Lannon started in 1969.
The stores were originally one that housed the Library and the Lannons put up a wall and made the space into two stores. The Lannons moved here around 1930. Robert was a shrimper, fisherman and woodcarver. Carol mentioned that he was instrumental in founding the Island Art Association and the Art Competition for the Shrimp Festivals. In fact, when contractor Wayne Chism was helping move all the items out of the store for renovation, several local newspaper articles, framed and preserved, were uncovered. (See picture of Nassau Leader paper, dated May 13, 1927.)
The Lannons had 9 children. Emma Lannon Leeper was the first and runs the Corner-copia, also getting ready to reopen next to the Ship’s Lantern. Carol, being the 8th in line, owns the Ship’s Lantern. The inside renovations are as exciting as the new storefront, with original patches of the old brick exposed. These are two stores, that we and our children, as well as tourists, love to visit for the many unusual items there. The Wood Carved Pirate is being spruced up and will be on duty outside when done. Oh, and the famous koi pond? It will be back and the fish are being cared for by local, Bill Zetterower.
Editor’s Note: Gerry began free lance writing for fun and is the author of a published book (available on Amazon and at Books Plus) about funny real estate experiences. Gerry is a longtime member of our local American Business Women’s Chapter, a volunteer cancer driver and church deacon who loves to read, travel and meet interesting people.
April 17, 2013 1:00 a.m.