Nassau County Council on Aging
July 23, 2020
The Nassau County Council on Aging’s (NCCOA’s) Life Centers in Fernandina Beach and Hilliard were bustling hubs offering a wide variety of classes, workshops and activities for area seniors prior to closing its doors when the coronavirus struck.
Now, as individuals and families figure out how to work, shop and learn from home while connecting with each other and staying entertained, NCCOA has developed a varied collection of free virtual resources for seniors that can continue to keep them busy as well. Many of the links below allow you to take a class or visit a museum at your leisure 24/7, while others will connect you to live, scheduled events. All that’s needed to learn a new skill or travel around the world is a personal computer, laptop, tablet or smart phone and an internet connection.
The following is a sampling of what’s available today, but NCCOA is frequently adding new classes, presentations and opportunities so be sure to visit and bookmark the agency’s events page at https://bit.ly/3hXqHv5.
At your leisure…
- All About Zoom. Learn how to meet virtually with family members and friends – individually and in groups – using this popular videoconferencing software. Visit https://bit.ly/3jr6xQk.
- Interactive online classes across 60 topics explain how to use Facebook and Instagram, schedule an Uber ride and more. When you book your classes, enter the code “NASSAU” during check out. Classes are free through Aug. 31 (offer does not apply to 1-on-1 classes). Visit https://bit.ly/2ZKeyd8.
- Senior Planet. Online programs designed to keep seniors learning, connecting and exploring are listed daily. Classes include exercise, technology, Spanish and more. Visit https://bit.ly/3zPvgO3.
- Tuesday Topics with Bob Bolan. Videos and handouts include topics such as foreign policy, government operations and future trends. Contact Bob at [email protected] for more information and to sign up.
- 25 Tours of Washington, D.C. Explore the landmarks, museums, Smithsonian, National Zoo and many more important landmarks in our nation’s capital. Visit https://bit.ly/3jr6y8Q.
- Kennedy Center Digital Stage. Watch extraordinary performances from the Kennedy Center stages and beyond with new releases daily, special series and original stories. Visit https://bit.ly/2BjAsup.
- Expoza Travel. If you want to travel the world, this is the video channel for you. Visit https://bit.ly/39gUKz2.
- The Path to Happiness: What Chinese Philosophy Teaches Us About the Good Life. Ancient Chinese philosophical concepts provide tools to change your life and increase personal happiness. This is a self-paced 13-week course offered by HarvardX. Visit https://bit.ly/32HfTnc.
- Coping with Cocooning During COVID-19: Lessons from Lighthouse Keepers. Presented by Caren Coleman, LMHC, of Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, this pre-recorded webinar teaches strategies and habits to boost your resilience. Visit https://bit.ly/2WJqZnA.
- Virtual EnerChi. Every Monday and Friday, 11 a.m.-12 p.m. (class is available for replay until 4 p.m. the following day). Christy Hickey, certified fitness instructor for SilverSneakers and Renew Active. Visit https://bit.ly/2OGrg6s.
- Virtual Strength & Balance. Every Wednesday, 11 a.m.-12 p.m. (class is available for replay until 4 p.m. the following day). Christy Hickey, certified fitness instructor for SilverSneakers and Renew Active. Visit https://bit.ly/2OGrg6s.
- Getting Ready for Your (Disaster-Related) Insurance Needs. Wednesday, July 29, 11-11:30 a.m. Join AARP FL and the city of Tallahassee Neighborhood Affairs Department for an interactive presentation. Register at https://bit.ly/2WBLFxZ.
- Tai Chi for Arthritis. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 4 through Sept. 24, 10-11 a.m. To register, call Northeast Florida AHEC at (904) 482-0189.
- Honoring Choices. Wednesday, Aug. 5, 11 a.m.-12 p.m. Presented by Community Hospice & Palliative Care, this session provides an overview of the importance of advance care planning for all adults, not just the elderly. Visit https://bit.ly/2CwPBZS and use “874 4768 1774” as the Meeting ID and “08052020” as the password.
- Diabetes Empowerment Education Program (six-week session). Wednesdays, Aug. 5 through Sept. 9, 1-3 p.m. Are you living with diabetes or pre-diabetes and want to have fun while learning how to manage the disease and prevent complications? To register, call Northeast Florida AHEC at (904) 482-0189.
- Legal Chat: Fair Housing Rights as an (Aging) Tenant or Homebuyer. Thursday, Aug. 6, 9-10 a.m. Presented by Jacksonville Legal Aid attorney Suzanne Garrow. Visit https://bit.ly/2CwPBZS and use “816 1681 3182” as the Meeting ID and “080620” as the password.
- Wheel of Fortune. Thursday, Aug. 6, 10-11 a.m. Join a fun game of Wheel of Fortune presented by Chasta Moore from Fernandina Beach Rehabilitation and Nursing Center and you could win a gift card. Visit https://bit.ly/2CwPBZS and use “872 6316 0214” as the Meeting ID and “08062020” as the password.
- Living Healthy with Chronic Conditions (two sessions, six weeks per session). Session 1: Aug. 7 through Sept. 11, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Session 2: Aug. 18 through Sept. 22, 1-3:30 p.m. To register, call Northeast Florida AHEC at (904) 482-0189.
- Healthy Eating Every Day. Thursdays, Aug. 13 through Nov. 12, 1-2 p.m. To register, call Northeast Florida AHEC at (904) 482-0189.
- Active Living Every Day. Thursdays, Aug. 20 through Nov. 5, 3-4 p.m. To register, call Northeast Florida AHEC at (904) 482-0189.
- Crafts with Christy, Stained Glass Sun Catcher. Thursday, Aug. 21, 2-3 p.m. Presented by Christy Hickey, artist and crafter. Contact Melody Dawkins at [email protected] for a list of supplies if you’d like to make the craft with Christy. Visit https://bit.ly/2WIeIjp.
- Legal Chat: Homesteads for Heirs – Probate & Property Taxes. Thursday, Sept. 3, 9-10 a.m. Presented by attorney Carol Miller. Visit https://bit.ly/2CwPBZS and use “841 7932 7302” as the Meeting ID and “090320” as the password.
If you have questions or feedback, contact NCCOA Membership & Community Engagement Director Melody Dawkins at [email protected]