Baptist Health Jacksonville
July 22, 2021
“More than 97% of our COVID-19 patients ARE NOT fully vaccinated.”
Earlier today, local health system leaders joined Mayor Curry to discuss the surge in positive COVID-19 cases in our community. As with all area hospitals, Baptist Health has seen a significant increase in COVID-19 patients over the last few weeks and we currently have 292 patients with COVID-19 in our hospitals. This is highest number of COVID-19 patients we’ve ever had in our health system at one time. Some important information we’d like to share regarding what we’ve seen in the past month:
• 69% of our cases are attributed to the Delta variant. Because of its very efficient and effective transmission from human to human, the patients we’re seeing in the hospital today are younger, sicker and they are getting sick quicker.
• 44% of our COVID-19 patients this month are in their 40s or younger.
• More than 97% of our COVID-19 patients ARE NOT fully vaccinated.
• Most were previously healthy – moms, dads, brothers and sisters – who are now hospitalized because of this virus.
• Even when these patients return home from the hospital, some may struggle for months with fatigue and other long-lasting symptoms including cardiac and pulmonary issues that keep them from returning to normal activities, including work.
What we are seeing is extremely concerning. We strongly encourage you to seek trustworthy information and make an informed decision about getting the COVID-19 vaccine. You can find a free vaccine location near you by visiting vaccinefinder.org.