Submitted by Suanne Z. Thamm
Reporter – News Analyst
May 20, 2020
The Fernandina Beach City Commission (FBCC) received a presentation on the draft Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) planned for Fiscal Years 2020/21-2024/25 at their May 19, 2020 Regular Meeting. Prepared by the North Florida Transportation Planning Organization, the plan covers cities in Duval, St. Johns, Nassau and Clay Counties. Because The FBCC met in virtual session, the presentation was referenced but not discussed.
The entire presentation is available on the City website here.
The approval date for the plan is June 11, 202 following a public meeting on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 from 4-5 p.m. at the North Florida TPO office at 980 North Jefferson Street in Jacksonville.
The North Florida TPO is responsible for approving transportation projects funded with federal assistance, regardless of the grant program, with direct project selection authority for certain programs.
Local projects in the plan are listed below.
- Amelia Island Parkway Trail from Via Del Rey to 14th Street (2023/24)
- Amelia Island Parkway Trail from SR A1A (Fletcher Ave.) to Via Del Ray (2020/2021)
- Amelia Island Parkway Trail from Bailey Road to 14th Street (2023/24)
- Sidewalk on Citrona Drive from Hickory Street to Beech Street (2022/23)
- Ash Street Railroad Crossing (2020/21)
- Centre Street Railroad Crossing (2020/21)
The Amelia Island Parkway Trail segments will complete the remaining segments of the bike path/trail to connect SR A1A (8th Street) to Bailey Road (2023/24) at a cost of approximately $2.8M. The sidewalk on Citrona is estimated to cost $332K. The rail crossing projects have been deemed necessary for safety reasons and are being funded by FDOT at approximately $685K.
To learn more about the North Florida TPO, visit their website http://northfloridatpo.com/