Submitted by Cara Curtin
April 14, 2022
The Princess Amelia Chapter National Society Colonial Dames of the XVII Century dedicated a new historical marker at the Callahan Train Depot during Railroad Days this year.
Standing left to right are: Joanne Templeton, Faith Varrasse, Sheila Carlin, Organizing President Dianne Parfitt, President Sharon Driscoll, Sherry Harrell, Jean Worley, Rumsey Young, and Cara Curtin.
The marker commemorates the 141 years of service the depot has given to Nassau County. It began in 1881 as the depot for the first major rail connection between Florida and points north. It fell dormant during the 1970s, and then was refurbished in 1988 as the Greater Nassau Chamber of Commerce office until finally becoming home to the West Nassau Historical Society Museum of Local History.
Colonial Dames XVII Century is a national, lineage-based organization of women with documented ancestors who lived and served in one of the 13 original American Colonies before 1701. With over 11,000 members in 46 states and Canada, its primary mission is the preservation of historic sites and records, promotion of heraldry and coats of arms, support of charitable projects, and the education of the nation’s children.