from The County Insider
Office of the Nassau County Manager
1/4/22 @ 1:00 p.m.
Amelia Island’s tree canopy has communal benefits that preserve the health, safety and general well-being of those residing on Amelia Island, including storm protection, stormwater drainage and treatment, soil stabilization and strengthening, and serving to counter-heat island effects.
In May 2021, the Amelia Island Tree Protection Working Group completed its five-year mission in drafting a new Tree Protection Ordinance, modifying the existing Ordinance passed in 2008, as well as modifying Section 37.02, 37.05 and Article 32 of the Land Development Code.
The Nassau County Board of County Commissioners adopted the updated Amelia Island Tree Ordinance, Ordinance No. 2021-012, on August 9, 2021 with an effective date of February 7, 2022.
As outlined in the Ordinance, the Board of County Commissioners is creating an Amelia Island Tree Ordinance Commission to assist in the administration of the Ordinance. Duties are as follows:
- Develop, recommend, and forward to the Board of County Commissioners a tree planting program that will be approved and updated a minimum of every five (5) years;
- Review tree/canopy restoration plans;
- Hear and decide administration appeals from provisions of the Ordinance;
- Recommend to the Board of County Commissioners periodic surveys of trees and vegetation, the designation of canopy roads, and the establishment of a Heritage Tree Program
The Board of County Commissioners is currently seeking volunteers to serve on the Amelia Island Tree Ordinance Commission. The Commission shall, to the extent possible, include five (5) voting members meeting the following criteria:
- A Planning & Zoning Board representative recommended by the Planning & Zoning Board;
- A Florida licensed Landscape Architect;
- An International Society Arboriculture (ISA) Certified County Arborist;
- Two citizens who are residents of the unincorporated area of Amelia Island
Voting members shall be appointed for staggered, three year terms. Applications will be accepted beginning today through 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 4, 2022. To apply online, please click here.
If you have any questions, contact the Planning Department at (904) 530-6300 or email [email protected]
Public Information Officer