Friends of Fort Clinch donate Cannon Carriage for Parrott Rifle

Friends of Fort Clinch
Press Release
Submitted by Don Hughes
President
November 14, 2017 5:30 a.m.

Park Rangers, Corporal Andrew Smith and Sergeant Frank Ofeldt, reenactors representing the 1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment – Company C man the newly donated cannon.

The Friends of Ft. Clinch recently donated a new custom built Civil War period cannon carriage to Fort Clinch State Park. The carriage is mounted with a Model 1861 Parrot Rifle. The Parrott rifle is a type of muzzle-loading rifled artillery weapon that was used extensively in the American Civil War. The rifle is fired at 1st Weekend Programs and during special events held at the Fort.

Manning the Parrot Rifle are living historians and Park Rangers, Corporal Andrew Smith and Sergeant Frank Ofeldt, representing the 1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment – Company C. The Regiment was stationed at Fort Clinch during the Civil War.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.